Monday, January 30

soothsaying

someone asked me today what I thought was going to be happening in technology in the near future. hmm, I haven't really prepared any punditry. but it doesn't look hard. Most people did theirs at the end of 2005. I hadn't planned to do this, but the start of the chinese new year seems like a good time to stick my neck out. I include some share prices at the close of trading on the first day of the year 4703.

1. VoIP
Skype has been bought by eBay, Cisco are apparently the world's largest telephone producer. Everyone hates paying phone bills. and IMHO it's a pain in the arse to deal with BT*. I'd say that VoIP taking off is a no-brainer. VoIP on mobile phones seems like a fairly safe bet, although it won't make the telcos happy

eBay Inc. (EBAY) At 9:00PM : 43.09 $ Down 0.98 (2.22%)
Cisco Systems Inc. (CSCO) At 9:00PM : 18.89 $ Up 0.11 (0.59%)

2. Free and Open source software
Apache seems likely to continue to be a major web server. IBM will probably keep promoting Linux as a great complement to their hardware. OpenOffice and ODF are getting noticed in the public sector. And people love free stuff

International Business Machines Corp. (IBM) At 9:00PM : 81.63 $ Up 0.61 (0.75%)

3. Security
The more stuff goes online the more people will try to steal/sabotage it. I predict good business for firewall, IDS and secure authentication providers


I can't find a share price for SmoothWall Ltd

Check back in 12 months to find out if I'm right

*and if anyone from BT is reading, these are my personal opinions. If you want to discuss then ring me up. Tell me you're from BT and I'll make you wait an hour on hold, out of spiteful revenge

Fruit & veg today? - two bananas, swede and carrot, really Exercise today? - those weights I was going to do yesterday Hours of sleep I'm going to get tonight? - 8. maybe

No comments: