Friday, January 6

Recipe - Vegan Miso Soup

one of my favourite meals at wagamama is the big bowl of soup with noodles in. soup is so filling it really is good food. anyway, i saw some shiitake mushrooms reduced at el supermercado and i figured i could put them in some broth made with one of those miso packet soups (like the one I enjoyed so much last wknd) but then I couldn't find any soup packets. To cut a long story short I bought a jar of miso paste and this site was very helpful in working out what to do with it. This site reassured me that by consuming miso i'll never grow old and I'll never die. My recipe deviated quite a bit from the instructions though, so apologies if I offend anyone. what do you expect from a gaijin?

  1. First get a packet of tofu, cut into 36 pieces and marinade for 30 mins or more in soy sauce, lemon juice, black pepper and chili powder
  2. drain the tofu, then fry in a few tbsp of sunflower oil. when it goes a bit crispy remove it from the pan.
  3. chop up about 10 shiitake mushrooms, a medium sized aubergine and most of an onion. fry them - aubergine first so it loses the plastic texture. leave about 10% of the onion raw and dice it finely for use as a garnish or "suikuchi"
  4. make up a broth (aka "dashi") I used 1.2 litres of boiling water, two oxo cubes and the flavouring sachet from a packet of instant mushroom noodles. I expect 3 oxo cubes would be just as good. put the fried tofu and most of the broth into the wok. Keep a cup of the broth back and dissolve 1-3 tsp of miso into it
  5. bring the stock and the vegetables to the boil, and simmer until you think it might be nearly edible, lower the heat and put some noodles on.
  6. you shouldn't boil the miso, so when the soup has cooled a little add the miso/dashi mixture and keep on a very low heat. when the noodles are ready put them in a bowl and ladle some soup over them. add the suikuchi, then eat...
5 fruit & veg today? - a clementine and some cherry tomatoes so far, plus the aubergine and mushrooms described above Exercise today? - maybe later Hours of sleep I'm going to get tonight? - i'm hoping for a lie-in

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love miso! I always add when I am getting ready to eat.