Thursday, December 7

life in the big city

I don't think I'm burned out yet. My new job is a lot less stressful than my previous one. The work isn't super tiring, not like digging ditches or lugging stones about. But I still fantasise about living in the countryside, growing soya beans and turnips. Being self sufficient - as long as I can stomach turnip wine. Why should modern life be so stressful though? I think things are probably easier now for most people than they were a couple of hundred years ago. I've got clean drinking water, a TV, and enough to eat in the fridge.

The article suggests that for some people in the modern world the feeling of achievement is lacking. Which could be true. I find it more satisfying to look at a dry stone wall I've built (for example) than to have recorded some good up-time stats and have ticked off a few things on my To Do list. But then I don't need to build any dry-stone walls. I need to sort out my life goals and make some progress towards them.

No comments: