Sunday, June 4

Vi for Windows

Windows notepad isn't that bad, but for grown-up text editing (and assorted linux stuff) I decided it was time I got to grips with Vi. strangely the correct pronunciation is "vee eye" though I've never heard it referred to in this way. There is a free (as in beer) version of Vi for windows (link above)

anyway, how does the thing work? I've got a quite nicely laid out cheat sheet for Vi here, which looks good pasted above my desk. It tells you how to move about in a file and delete stuff. The Introduction to Vi written by the author (Bill Joy) is recommended - I havent read much.

What I wanted to know to get going was how to copy and paste text, and this was in Mr Joy's guide, in section 4
"yy" copies a line, and "p" pastes it. "dd" deletes a line. Easy enough and should help me get this HTMl written. I'll need to practice, and at some point find out how to copy individual words

vegetables - ate loads in some "Monk's Broth" from Umami on Oxford Road
exercise - maybe do some later