Thursday, September 13

Vegan cheescake

I had two recipes, but the first (from the Real Food Daily cookbook)required white miso, and since I couldn't find any I found another recipe on the Internet. I ended up combining the two recipes in an apt and original way. Read on for the full story, with pictures.

The RFD cookbook had a fancy-schmancy wheat-free crust made with barley flour and stuff. Probably would have been delicious but I couldn't be arsed, what with the time it was going to take to make the cheesecake itself. I didn't want to spend all day in the kitchen so I smashed up 20 hobnobs and fried the bits with 3 tsp of margarine, and spread that in my pie tin. Mmm, fried biscuits. They're unhealthy-licious.

The filling was made in two parts - first was 1 cup of maple syrup, 1 tsp of vanilla extract, 3 dessertspoons of sunflower oil and a lemon. The zest of the lemon was put in the liquid, then I peeled the lemon and removed the pips and some of the tough bits and blended it all up with my hand blender. Then I whisked in one tsp of baking powder and half a cup of arrowroot powder.

For the second part I used one 225g tub of Tofutti "Better Than Cream Cheese", one packet of silken tofu (approx 14oz) and half a packet of normal (firm) tofu (125g). I blended these up a bit, then I added the liquid< from the previous paragraph and blended some more. By this time it looks pretty gooey and tastes sweet, and the work is almost done. Pour the gooey liquid over the crust and bake at about 180 deg C for an hour (check to make sure the top doesn't burn) then take out. It should be a bit runny in the centre but firmed up at the sides. Then leave to cool for four hours

As a topping the RFD have a raspberry puree to make. Or get a tin of black cherry pie filling from the supermarket and pour on the top. I went with option two.

I could eat a really large amount of this.

No comments: