Saturday, December 25

Ubuntu 10.04 can't connect to wireless network

This was driving me mad, but today I found the solution. From a terminal I typed
> lspci
Which showed that the wifi card I have installed was detected. Also I could see that it was a BCM4318 chipset

I could create a connection to my wireless network but not get an IP address by DHCP. Kept getting 10.42.43.1 which isn't the address range that I use.

Eventually google lead me here
--> http://ubuntugeek.com/forum/index.php?topic=268.0

And after installing the b43-fwcutter app (I have no idea what this is) and rebooting I was connected

> sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter

Installing the app required a network connection of course. For added annoyance I had to move my adsl router into the room where this PC lives, and the onboard nic didn't work so I had to install a netgear fa311

I like windows.

No comments: